It’s National Library Week! Libraries are near and dear to me (and it’s not just b/c I am a librarian!), libraries fuel our communities more than most realize. There’s a bunch of evidence to show that libraries are vital and essential, yet library budgets around the country are being slashed.
Need more reasons to support libraries?
- Neil Gaiman says so. 😉 He is the Honorary Chair of National Library Week, and he’ll be speaking tonight, April 12, 6-8 pm, about libraries and censorship via a live stream talk. Check it out here.
- The Geek the Library campaign says it all: “whatever you geek, the Library supports it” and get your geek on: http://geekthelibrary.org/getyourgeekon/geekgear.html
- Keith Richards wanted to be a librarian – that recent little tidbit should amuse you enough to support libraries. Check out the article here.
- Librarians have trading cards: http://librariantradingcards.blogspot.com/ and we have our very own society: http://thelsw.org/ – we support each other!
- Another great example of activism among librarians/libraries, please check out: http://savelibraries.org/
Need the hard facts about libraries? Click through the following links:
- “77 million people used library computers and Internet access in past year” – Want more data? Read the first-ever study about the American Public Benefits from Internet Access at U.S. Libraries here.
- Read the State of the Libraries Report to see how important library funding truly is, click here.
- Please take action and show support, I Love Libraries has a nifty map of all 50 states, with links to state library associations to give involved with legislation and advocacy. Click here to get started!